Monday, October 14, 2013

Cherishing 4am

Most people out there are probably thinking the title to this post is crazy, but it was something I was thinking about last night at, you guessed it, 4am.

My daughter has never been a great sleeper. I'd go so far as to say that she's never been a good sleeper. Up until her 2nd birthday she was up every 3 hours, and would need me to help her fall back asleep. I have watched many a sunset from the rocker in her room as I nursed her back to sleep for the 5th time in one night. She's now 3 months over 2, and will usually sleep well, until 4am.

Then I hear her door open, and a soft little voice call out, "momma? Come cuddle?" and I do. Now I know, every sleep trainer will say that I need to not go, lay down in bed, and snuggle her close, but I do. Normally all she needs is 2 minutes snuggled in close to me and she's back into a deep sleep. Maybe it's noises from outside, maybe the cat is meowing, maybe she's reached an age where the night terrors that she has always had have turned into nightmares and she just needs a little reassurance that everything is okay.

And last night at 4am, when my sweet baby asked me to "p'etty p'ease change diaper", and then gave me a big kiss and said "night mommy, I love you", I realized that I need to cherish these 4am visits when the house is asleep and my little girl is still young enough to not be shy about asking for help, or accepting comfort.

Maybe it will mean more sleepless nights down the road, but I never want her to feel alone in the dark. I want her to know that she can always call me when she is feeling scared, sad, or lonely, and that I will be there, even at 4am.

No comments:

Post a Comment