Friday, February 17, 2012

Saving money makes me happy

We have been in a bad cycle of money out going over money in lately with the water heater acting up, the fridge dying (and us not realizing it until the food was bad, thank goodness Scott's mom bought us the chest fridge or I would have lost milk too!) and the other glories of home ownership. So I did my weekly internal thought of "how can we save money?" and came up short.
Then it hit me, the cell phone! We were paying $100 per month (plus some change) for our two cell phones. Sprints unlimited texting with 1400 minutes. Except we didn't use 1400 minutes. I think between us we maybe used 200 minutes a month, maybe, if I was feeling chatty and calling people randomly. The problem was that all of the less expensive plans cut down on the texts which was difficult because Scott relies on those for work.
Enter our new phones. Scott now has an Android powered Samsung Interceptor from Virgin Mobile for a total of $35 a month for unlimited text, data, pictures and then 300 talking minutes. Score! He also gets a smart phone now which he has been wanting forever.
I went the other route and decided to try Tracfone. I purchased a little $10 Samsung something or other with texting and picture capabilities and bought 260 minutes for $39.99. I have 240 minutes left and it's been over a month.
That means that we are now spending about $45 a month on our phones, sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment