Monday, April 18, 2011

I love you more than syrup!

I'm going to start to try to keep this updated with my diet, partially as a way of holding myself accountable and partly to offer encouragement to anyone who stumbles across my blog and could use a little pick me up. It's been an interesting few days living both gluten free and now with a diet for gestational diabetes. I have discovered that I definitely was not eating enough carbs and proteins which is not so hard of a realization given that I can't eat the majority of "quick carbs" that are out there, like crackers, breads, bagels etc. It's also been hard because my staple carb is rice now, which is very high on the glycemic index and rough on my blood sugar. But, we are adjusting and thanks to my testing I can tell what is working and what isn't. Here is my food diary from yesterday (minus the measurements because I don't feel like getting up and grabbing my book). You can see how tortured I am right now ;) Fasting BS reading - 68 Breakfast - Cream of rice with frozen berries, cottage cheese, and peanuts BS reading of 109 Snack - String cheese and 5 Glutino crackers Lunch - (went out to Applebees after my hospital tour, did I write about that?) Steak and Potato Salad. Heaping portion of spinach with red pepper, onion, tomato, eggs, steak, potatoes and a dijon vinegarette. BS reading of 69 (tad low) Snack- plum after lunch to counter the BS reading being slightly low, then some Lays chips with Deans dip and peanuts for protein Dinner- leftover spagetti made by my wonderful husband. Quinoa pasta, tomato sauce, sausage, beef, green pepper, onion, mushrooms. with grapes BS reading of 125 Snack - 3 oz of plain Greek yogurt (blah) and 5 Glutino crackers I think the biggest thing right now is just how much food is going into my body, and the variety of food. My old diet would have been like this: Breakfast - Rice chex and milk Lunch - Salad greens with ranch Dinner - Pasta dish or canned soup Um...yeah, ya think I was a little nutritionally lacking? *smacks forehead* I also don't know if it's just because she grew a little bit or because I'm sleeping a little lighter, but the Berry has been a crazy wiggle worm since I started testing/dieting! Last night she was moving around and I could feel little body parts sliding across my hand instead of just feeling the wiggles or the small pops from random movements. I'm curious/anxious about our Dr. visit on May 2nd to see if she's growing large or still regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment