Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mom things I can't live without - E-reader

Yes, that is right, an e-reader. In my case, my wonderful Nook Classic (I think? Back when there was only one option). I'm an avid reader and love to feel the weight of a good paperback beneath my fingers, feeling the woody and familiar scent fill my nose as each page turns, and see all my pretty covers lined up on the shelf.

Then, I had a kid. Even more importantly (for this particular item), I had a kid and was committed to breastfeeding her. Have you tried to breastfeed a newborn? It's an all day thing, and really not all that exciting once the novelty wears off. Add to it she had a horrible latch (I frequently called her my "crocodile child" and breastfeeding her wasn't puppies and rainbows and a walk in the park.

And pumping...boy did I love my Nook time while pumping. I would buy a few books and only allow myself to read while breastfeeding or pumping as a little extra incentive, and it did actually help. I was able to feed her until her 2nd birthday (assuming she doesn't self-wean in the next month) successfully.

Here's why. Breastfeeding requires hands, in my case, two hands. Many mom's are incredibly talented with one-handed breastfeeding, but I was not. I needed one hand to position me and one to position her and how was that going to work with a traditional book? It wasn't. However, I could lay my Nook on the arm of the couch I was sitting on and then just use a finger to flick the page, mucccch easier :)



No comments:

Post a Comment