Sunday, July 21, 2013

A butterfly/Little Mermaid party

So...I've been a little MIA lately. I know, I know, what else is new, right? But I have a good excuse this time! Two actually.

The first is that I've been super busy with the release of my second novel, Heart of Kylassame, which went live two weeks ago and I've been doing a ton of promoting, selling, and mailing.

The second, is that yesterday was my little Bug's 2nd (2nd?!) birthday and it took me a while to prepare everything. Unfortunately my husband drew the worst schedule possible the week of her birthday ( gone until 7pm every day except Friday, when he was gone until 10:30pm, party was Saturday), but I had a ton of help from my parents, so it all turned out fabulously!

This year's theme was Butterfly, because 1) the kid loves them and 2) I could re-use her "Bugs and Berries" stuff from last year. Then my husband came home 24 hours before the party with a bunch of little mermaid stuff. Not a happy camper right here, not a happy camper. But that's okay, we made it work. We'll just do a huge Little Mermaid party next year! (And that was the worst part, after I got over being pissed I thought of a ton of awesome ideas for a LM party. Ah, next year!)

Oh, and the best part? Almost ALL of the butterfly stuff came from our local Dollar Store. Woot! I think we spent, maybe, $40 on all the decorations, and $30 of that was the Little Mermaid stuff (which was not from the Dollar Store)



Guests got to partake in the some chips and dip at the Little Mermaid table. I just went with Tostitos and Salsa and Tostitos and Queso this time, as very few people went for the cream based dips last year and I don't like them as well.




Then we had the drinks and favors section. Each of the kids got a slinky, bubbles, stickers and some candy. you can also see some of the beautiful artwork that my friend Red gifted to my Bug when she was born.




A crazy dark image of the food spread because I am a camera moron and didn't realize I had the flash turned off.


Oh, look, now I figured it out and turned it on (yet didn't take a big pic again...)
Our lovely fruit cups. We had a mix of watermelon, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, and kiwis.


Close up of the fruit.



Little Mermaid Cupcake stand. The cupcakes were a chocolate GF mix with Cream Cheese frosting. Num! You can also see my veggie tray as well as the wrap sandwiches we bought from Costco


Then we have some yummy meatballs. Thank goodness for Pinterest steering me over to Gimme Some Oven for the recipe. Delicious!


We made a little balloon ceiling thing and hung up a happy birthday banner.

And another Happy Birthday banner in the other room (from Dollar Store)


The veggie tray (before the Ranch was put out)


And my slightly creepy butterfly cake. Creepy, but omg was it good. Yellow GF cake with a super delicious and easy frosting. Just mix 1 C whipping cream with 1/2 C Cream Cheese Frosting. Just run the whipping cream in the mixer until it stiffens up, then add the Cream Cheese Frosting. Perfect blend of sweetness and fluffyness and soooo good. Obviously, I will not be quitting my day job, or my author gig to go into cake baking lol.



The butterfly plates and matching utensils, all from the Dollar Store (minus the colored cups, those were from our local grocery store)


There you have it! I had a full house of happy people and one very happy little girl. I can't believe that she's already 2. I may still be in denial.

No comments:

Post a Comment