Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The "great potential"

The next house was, what I call, "the great potential".
The house was a three bedroom, two bathroom rambler just a little ways out of the city. It is on a very large lot of land with some large trees. We pull up and I immediately notice part of the roof seems to be disintegrating. We walk in the front door (skirting past the hornets nest under the front windows) and I let out a frustrated sigh. The walls were covered in stains, and the carpet was almost frightening to step upon. The kitchen looked as though someone stopped mid renovation. We walk back to the bedrooms and one window is broken. They are decent sized though. We walk down to the basement. There is a section of wall that has very apparent mold, and a large circular hole in the cement. The walls are also framed with metal supports, always an encouraging thing to see in a potential house.
I walk back upstairs as Scott and Chuck are talking about what a great deal this house would be, about how it would take some elbow grease and initial money and it would be a great investment at the price.
I walk into the basement and start crying. My mom comes down and we talk. We don't have any initial money to put down, and when Scott is working 14 hours and commuting up to 3 hours every day, it means I will be the only one doing to the hard work. I don't want to spend every second of my free time cleaning just to get the house livable. I want a house I can move into and not have to do serious renovation or sanitizing.
Next please!

No comments:

Post a Comment