Monday, March 22, 2010

March 22nd, inspection day

I will begin this blog post with a word about how odd timing can be. We finally get a house, I have strong reasons to believe that I am finally pregnant, and the school board votes on the school budget tonight. I may not have a job there next year, awesome. But I will worry about that when I need to. At least my school salary can be easily met (if not far exceeded) if I get back into the retail world. I've been spoiled by education though and don't want a new job. We will have to see.

Today was our housing inspection! Scott and I arrived early and walked around the edge of the house. Yep, as good as we remembered. The yard is a bit steeply sloped so it will make gardening a bit more...creative, but I'm still excited. Our Realtor arrives to let us in and we spend 10 minutes just walking around the house again.

I was so pleasantly surprised. I've seen so many houses that they've all been combined into one house, and my mind had put a lot of the less attractive points of the other houses into this one. Both of the bathrooms are a bit bare, but are still very pretty and have good bones. The bedroom is 12' by 12', which is not huge, but has a large walk in closet I completely forgot about. We fired up the gas fireplace and that thing radiates some serious heat! We also learned that because it's gas it will still work in the case of a power outage, so we can huddle around the fireplace but not have to go out for wood.

The inspector found a few things to comment on. The water heater was the original heater for the house, so we may need to replace that in the next 5 years or so. There is a power outlet on the outer wall of the house that is not functioning (apparently an easy 10 minute fix) and our driveway slopes towards the basement so we will have to fix that (again, "eventually').

A much better bill of health than the last house, with it's grade of "replace the roof asap, buy a boiler before moving in, redo deck flooring in the next year, replace entire house wiring before moving in..."

All in all, good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment